Coffee shops are where we meet, where we go to work away from our home office, or just to be with other people. Most coffee shops have cozy furniture, good food, free wi-fi, helpful warm and friendly staff along with a convenient spot to meet business associates and friends or simply to hang out. My favourite is The Buzz in Vancouver. It’s run by Chris and Jen Harrison and is located in their fine art gallery inside a beautiful Yaletown heritage building. I’m there several times a week and feel as if I’m one of the family. When I’m in my own neighbourhood I go to Cornerstone or the new Blenz Coffee at 4th and Alma.
I meet a lot of wonderful interesting people while waiting or just hanging out, but I’ve also noticed some behaviour that makes me go “HUH?” I conducted a non-scientific survey of 10 people who are also regular coffee shop customers and here’s our list of “HUH?s”:
10. Not buying anything
9. Bringing in food and drinks from outside
8. Sitting for hours buying only one coffee
7. Rude and obnoxious behaviour
6. Wasting napkins/stir sticks/sugars
5. Hogging table space/seats/power outlets
4. Loud cell phone conversations
3. Being a little too comfy – leave your shoes on
2. What’s that on your screen? EWWW
1. Holding up the line ‘cause your on the phone
What have you noticed happening in your favourite coffee shop that makes you go HUH? The best comment wins – what else? – a coffee card.