Matthew Bandyk has posted an excellent on his US News and World Report blog entitled “How to Blog Your Way to Small-Business Success”.
I agree wholeheartedly with his main points:
- “Be a Reader of Blogs” – besides reading blogs in your sector, try to read post from the best bloggers, Problogger, Seth Godin’s blog, Daily Blog Tips. Reading these bloggers a couple of times a week will give you a model for successful blogging. (see my post with a link to using Google Reader effectively)
- “Don’t Stress it Too Much” – just start blogging. The more you post, the easier it is .. and if you don’t post 3 to 5 times a week for a while, just start up again.
- “Don’t adspeak” – think of your blog as a conversation with your best client. You have the opportunity to use your expertise and to express your point of view (see next point)
- “Tell a Story Without Ranting” – oh oh .. I’m known to express my opinon .. you don’t have to agree with me and I do warn you when I’m ranting.
- “Keep it Simple With Search Engine Optimization” – Most small business owners don’t have the time or the resources to master SEO, that’s not your job. A good resource for simple and effective SEO for blogs is the 30 Day Challenge training. Sign up for a free account and work through the lessons when you have time.
As a small-business owner, do you have a blog? How often do you post?